Monday, October 6, 2008

Sitting

In what I have found, so far, to be the least pretentious place in all of Williamsburg.

This coffee house, that doesn't even have a sign on the wall or hours on the door.
No decorations, no clutter, no fluff.
Just simplicity.
And community...

Some people that walked out earlier had apparently brought the staff here dinner tonight.
And the workers seems to want to know everyone by name.

This is rare.
They are hiring.
I think it's meant to be.



Basically, I love everything about this place already.
I have never ever EVER in my life felt so at home anywhere I have lived.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the people that made Saint Louis home and at times, I still lament silently over the fact that I am no longer a part of their everyday lives and they are no longer a part of mine. But it is so clear that this is exactly where I need to be right now. And I cannot even begin to tell you the peace, comfort, clarity, and hope that come from reminding myself of that at every moment of everyday.

By the leading of the Holy Spirit through two very very dear sisters to me, I am reading a book right now called Life of the Beloved by Henri Nouwen.
It is completely beautiful and so much of what I needed to hear from the voice of God recently.

Many decisions have already been made and many more are on their way.
But know this: Holiness is worth being pursued. At all times. In every way.
Mostly in the small ones...
Because it is within those small moments that the real true decision of what kind of woman I will be is made.

I will pursue.
And even more...
I will let myself be pursued by Holiness itself.

I am my Beloved's and He is mine.

There is absolutely NOTHING more beautiful, more captivating, more defining, and more comforting than that.




10:41 in New York City...
and all is well.


1 comment:

Stephen M. Bauer said...

Henri Nouwen! One Lent I did his daily meditations on the prodigal son. After reading the excerpts of Letter from A Birmingham Jail, it occurred to me that Thomas Merton might appeal to you but I don't know what writings of his to recommend. He wrote some fantastic essays on social justice but they are a little dates, being more about things in the early 1960's. The common way to get started with Merton is his autobiography/conversion-story, The Seven Story Mountain, but that book is different from his essays.